Homemade Veggie Broth
Whenever I make a meal with lots of vegetables, I take all the ends and trimmings and make veggie broth. Homemade broth is so easy to make, essentially free, and saves you from lugging containers of broth from the store.
- Place trimmings of vegetables (any kind) in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with water until the vegetables are submerged.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs, and seasonings to taste preference.
- Gently boil the mixture allowing it to reduce to about half the volume.
- Strain the remaining liquid from the vegetables.
Veggie broth can be stored in the freezer for up to a year and pulled out as needed for soups, sauces, crock-pot meals, and to cook starches like rice. Using broth in place of water in savory recipes will greatly improve the flavor of your dishes!